Tower denies takeoff clearance for student pilot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with all the above, but in the interest of editorial clarity, I'd like to remind you that the question was re: returning the NORDO trainer to home plate. Taxiing both aircraft to the duty runway with the "lead" requesting a formation takeoff with a xxxx departure" and then following two or three miles in trail poses little hazard.

Comment

In my experience, a tight formation is easier to fly than a loose one. It's much easier to see the relative motion

Comment

Tight is better than slightly loose. Very loose is easy.

The point about only flying with trained people, is for close formation. And the thing is, you want to KNOW that the lead will be unlikely to do something stupid. Like turn into rapidly and descending at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by B.Butler View Post
          I agree with all the above, but in the interest of editorial clarity, I'd like to remind you that the question was re: returning the NORDO trainer to home plate. Taxiing both aircraft to the duty runway with the "lead" requesting a formation takeoff with a xxxx departure" and then following two or three miles in trail poses little hazard.
          Even the formation take off can be with 10 second spacing. And the planes never being that close together.

You only NEED the tight formation to penetrate weather.

Comment

Remember, this was a student pilot who had never seen a formation regardless of how tight or loose it might be (other than watching from the ground, that is). In hindsight, we agreed that leaving the airplane behind until the problem was solved was the best solution. Had the student been cleared to takeoff and return without radios, had something happened to draw FAA attention, I suspect my CFI certificate would be in jeopardy for approving the flight.

Comment

Agreed that the student should NOT been solo trying formation for the first time.

Comment

Working...
              X