First BFR in 20 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flew an instrument proficiency flight yesterday evening. The flight went very well, and I actually feel current and confident to fly some actual IMC where an approach is required to get back down. I knew after my IPC, I could have done it, but felt quite rusty. Not where I want to be now, but feel pretty good.

I went up to KLNS to shoot a couple of approaches. First was the RNAV (GPS) Runway 31. It started as a LPV approach, but between the IAF and FAF I lost the GPS lock, and when it came back after a few seconds, I had no vertical guidance, so I switched to LNAV minimums and completed the approach.

Went around to the ILS Runway 8. Nailed the GS all the way down, and bit of weaving around the localizer, but part of that was the DG is getting to need to be overhauled, as it was precessing a bit. After the flight, the safety pilot commented he was watching the visual approach slope, and thought to himself that most people he had flown with did not hold the approach slope that well when VFR.

Back to 0W3 and shot the RNAV (GPS) B to a circle to land.

1.3 total time, 1.1 under the hood.

And to top it off, it was a CAP funded flight.

Comment

Congrats! 1.3 is right quick for an IPC.

Comment

The IPC was 1.8 in sim, 1.3 in plane in Dec.

This was just a practice flight to build skills and maintain legal currency. I did another one for 1.8 in Feb. I was safe, but not relaxed and comfortable. This time I was.

I am mixing it up between steam gauges and TAA. This time was steam gauges, Even DG, not HSI.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
          This time was steam gauges, Even DG, not HSI.
          Good for you! It's an arcane art which takes real skill, like driving a car with a manual transmission. Such skill is part of mastery.

Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

I am that type of guy. I have never owned a car with an automatic transmission.

Although my 2002 M3 is not a full manual.

For April instrument proficiency flight, I will try to do it in a G1000 equipped C-182. Have to maintain my TAA skills also.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
              I am that type of guy. I have never owned a car with an automatic transmission.
              Definitely that type. You are the only living person with whom I am completely comfortable riding in a car. You bring that combat pilot scan and situational awareness to driving.

I owned an automatic just once, used clunker on a clunker budget. Worst car I ever owned for several reasons, one of which was the transmission. However, during its six month lifespan, I did get spoiled on air conditioning. This was back when A/C was an expensive option.

Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Thank you kind sir.

It is amazing how little most people pay attention to the vehicles around them.

Since my cars tend to be somewhat unique, I notice them, and I come up next to another one, and can drive for miles and the person never notices.

Comment

Working...
                X