Solos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B.Butler View Post
    Funny, I only have a vague memory of my first solo, but I can recall my first solo cross-country with great deal of detail and vividly recall the pride and relief when I departed the last turnpoint with the absolute certainty that I would find my way home.
    I am happy for you.

There are Good Things, and Bad Things, about learning to fly in the New York metropolitan area. My first solo cross country was from Caldwell NJ to Bridgeport CT. As I recall it, the distance between the two airports was something like 50.001 nautical miles, which presumably had something to do with why the owner of the flight school used that as a first. So, here I am, a student with twenty or so hours, flying a ruler-straight line that took me right over White Plains (HPN) and thence to Bridgeport -- VFR, but all the time in contact with New York TRACON. I was nervous as hell, and suffering from target fixation -- the target being a safe landing at BDR -- and although NY was recommending that I stay at 4,000 feet, and I although was vaguely aware that ATC was talking to some aircraft that was busy departing BDR, I broke in to tell ATC that I needed to start descending.

He came back, absolutely dripping with sarcasm, about how I could do that, but if I did, there'd be a commercial airliner climbing right into my face, and "What are your intentions?" I replied, with as much aplomb as I could muster, that I intended to stay at 4,000 feet until he let me know I could descend.

Left me pissed off at ATC for while. When I joined the freq, I had told him I was a student, and that I was on my first solo XC, but this was a man who had left compassion sitting on his dresser that morning. And that's pretty much my only clear memory of that flight.

The 300-mile long cross country also has a couple of memories. One is of flying smack dab right over McGuire Air Force Base. The controllers there were perfectly happy to have me in their airspace. The notable moment there came when a couple of A10 Warthogs flew by me, pretty close, and pretty slow. I can't tell you why -- making sure I really was a C152? Taking an opportunity for some training? Maybe I just happened to be where they needed to be? -- but it was certainly cool from where I was sitting.

But the real moment was in tremendous contrast to yours. Third and last leg. Outside temperature was about 100 degrees, which meant the inside temperature was about, well, 100 degrees. I was flying northeast, with a lowering sun hard on the horizon from my left. I was hot, and tired, and the engine was droning, and this was before I figured out about headsets, and then the engine note changed, and then I woke up, and after a few seconds of "Where am I?", and then remembering that I was piloting a plane, I realized I was in the beginnings of a power spiral dive. Not an unusual attitude; it wasn't that bad. But it was certainly an uncommanded attitude. Okay, so I level off, and start a climb back to the altitude I had started at, and turn back to the heading I had started at. And then, asked again, "Where *am* I?"

I learned something about sectionals, that day. They work really well if you've been following along, and you can say, "Okay, that's such-and-so road, and there's this-and-that river." But if you've been unconscious for even a little while, and then start trying to match northern New Jersey to a map of northern New Jersey, which is criss-crossed by rivers and roads that all look alike from 3,500 feet, while simultaneously there is a drumbeat in the back of your head about, "Okay, then, where do you suppose the TCA actually *is*?, well, for a few minutes there you lack "...absolute certainty..." about finding your way home.

I mean, I never doubted for a moment that I would find my way home. But there was a certain amount of concern about the amount of 'splainin' I might have to do!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Dubner View Post
      he 300-mile long cross country also has a couple of memories. One is of flying smack dab right over McGuire Air Force Base. The controllers there were perfectly happy to have me in their airspace. The notable moment there came when a couple of A10 Warthogs flew by me, pretty close, and pretty slow. I can't tell you why -- making sure I really was a C152? Taking an opportunity for some training? Maybe I just happened to be where they needed to be? -- but it was certainly cool from where I was sitting.
      When was this? I could have been me in one of them, if the right time frame.

As long as you were not south bound, right on the V airway that just skirted the restricted airspace for the range there. And that you did not do so in a Ercoupe/Aircoupe.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
        Ercoupe/Aircoupe
        Chuckle, out at Wes-Tex Aircraft in LBB, Roy always called'em "Urpcups".

best, randy

Comment

I learned something about sectionals, that day. They work really well if you've been following along, and you can say, "Okay, that's such-and-so road, and there's this-and-that river." But if you've been unconscious for even a little while...
          I'm still just a VFR pilot and had barely flown since I moved to CA in 2002. But since I bought the C-150 last year and have gotten back into it, I've been going everywhere with an iPad running ForeFlight strapped to my leg. You always know exactly where you are and where you have been, overlaid on a sectional, and you can accurately fly right down the edge of restricted areas if you are so inclined. It absolutely feels like cheating so I guess this means I'm ok with cheating, especially out here where there are 7k peaks everywhere you turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Horak View Post
            I'm still just a VFR pilot
            Hi Mark,
            I’ve reverted to being a VFR pilot with the Cub. Occasionally I’ll even talk on my handheld radio if I must.

an iPad running ForeFlight strapped to my leg . . . It absolutely feels like cheating
            Took a hundred dollars worth of sectional charts to get me from El Cajon, CA to Sarasota, FL. But now I cheat with an “iFly” GPS<grin>.

Regards,
            Tom Charlton
            "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

BD wrote:
              The 300-mile long cross country also has a couple of memories. One is of flying smack dab right over McGuire Air Force Base. The controllers there were perfectly happy to have me in their airspace. The notable moment there came when a couple of A10 Warthogs flew by me, pretty close, and pretty slow. I can't tell you why -- making sure I really was a C152? Taking an opportunity for some training? Maybe I just happened to be where they needed to be? -- but it was certainly cool from where I was sitting.
              A friend and I were delivering a Taylorcraft BC 12D for another friend, from Miami to Long Island,NY (1969). Early on the plane had a vibration that we concluded was the wind driven generator which had failed and was in overspeed. So, we took it off and put it on the floor, set the pliers on the glare shield. Navigating by coast line until dark (don't mention the lack of nav lights). When it was dark we used the compass, which was pulled by the pliers, and generator (unnoticed). Confirming our position, I said that looks like … oh crap, we are directly over McGuire (at maybe 2000 feet). It was a Military Airlift Wing base then, I think, but their radar must not have seen this paper airplane. We landed at CDW(long day) and finished the trip a few days later.
              Last edited by Jeff Hartmann; 12-10-2018, 12:20. Reason: edited to change SAC base to MAW base

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hartmann View Post
                BD wrote:. We landed at CDW(long day) and finished the trip a few days later.
                Chuckle, those misadventures reminded me of what young Tex Edwards used once, told 'em - "hey, dont't gig me, I'm just learnin".

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hartmann View Post
                  A friend and I were delivering a Taylorcraft BC 12D for another friend, from Miami to Long Island,NY (1969). Early on the plane had a vibration that we concluded was the wind driven generator which had failed and was in overspeed. So, we took it off and put it on the floor, set the pliers on the glare shield. Navigating by coast line until dark (don't mention the lack of nav lights). When it was dark we used the compass, which was pulled by the pliers, and generator (unnoticed). Confirming our position, I said that looks like … oh crap, we are directly over McGuire (at maybe 2000 feet). It was a Military Airlift Wing base then, I think, but their radar must not have seen this paper airplane. We landed at CDW(long day) and finished the trip a few days later.
                  I did a similar thing. I had my Flight Guide and stuck it up on the glare shield of a C-172 flying down to Morehead City. I was around Dulles and talking to them, and they were getting upset, as I was not flying the course they wanted. And I was, or at least so I thought. I checked the DG to the mag compass several times, before the light bulb came on. Took it off the glare shield and got about a 25 degree change in the amg compass.

Learned that lesson.

Comment

I did a similar thing. I had my Flight Guide and stuck it up on the glare shield . . . Took it off the glare shield and got about a 25 degree change in the mag compass.
                    Hi Terry,

The whisky compass in my Cub is correct as long as you’re actually headed about 350°.
                    Any other heading . . . it still sez 350°. Don’t need no stinking compass <grin>.
                    California ~ Florida: I-8, I-10 then I-75, no problem. Well . . . there was that interesting diversion around Mt Lemmon north of Tucson.

Regards,
                    Tom Charlton
                    "The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I am happy for you.

There are Good Things, and Bad Things, about learning to fly in the New York metropolitan area. ...

He came back, absolutely dripping with sarcasm,...Left me pissed off at ATC for while. When I joined the freq, I had told him I was a student, and that I was on my first solo XC, but this was a man who had left compassion...

But the real moment was in tremendous contrast to yours. Third and last leg...
                      ​​
                      I learned to fly at Colorado Springs. Standard cross-country was I-25 to Pueblo, Arkansas River to Lamar and direct COS. So all is well, I'm calculating my gs like every 20 miles or so with landmarks or crossing radicals (HGO 210, etc), but that last long hypotenuse across the featureless sagebrush has me worried. I get to LAA, make my120 degree turn and there is the unmistakable massif of Pike's Peak. ... "aah...okay."

Other Story: forgive me if you've heard this one:
                      I learned to fly in an Air Force aero club, in which I could select C-172, PA-18 or a T-34; same price.

No contest, right? For a 20-year-old soldier with an active fantasy life, it was heaven. Every time I taxiied away from the ramp, canopy back, it was June 4, 1942, and I was with Scouting 5... But my dive bomber did in fact have very primitive avionics and one had to find the correct freq on the "coffee grinder" receiver.

On this particular day, I called: "Peterson Ground, Mentor 34V, short count, please." The receiver happened to be on the correct freq, so I heard the voice dripping with sarcasm, say, " One... "

My immediate reaction was hurt and anger. "That s.o. b. is making fun of my SBD!" But almost immediately I wondered, " how do you get a job like his? "

It was the beginning of a rich and satisfying 40-year career.
                      Last edited by B.Butler; 12-26-2018, 01:35.

Comment

The George HW Bush thread got a bit off track, so I thought I would start a new one just on the topic of solos.

By First Solo, I mean not just your very first one, but other category/class solos, or special types.

My first ever solo was a Grumman/Gulfstream AA-5B Tiger off a 2000 foot strip. It was a bit anticlimactic, as I had been ready to solo for several lessons, but my instructor was about to leave that school, and would not sign me off. The airport changed hands, and the new instructor soloed me the first flight with him. I do remember looking over at the seat beside me on downwind and getting a BIG grin seeing it EMPTY.

First jet solo was the T-37. Again, I had been ready to solo for several flights, but the USAF syllabus, you soloed when you got the ride that was to solo. I was the first in my class to solo. Did the mandatory 3 TO/landing with my instructor, then he had me taxi over to near the Runway Supervisory Unit, and shut down the right engine. He climbed out and fastened up the belts and waved me off. I did about 9 patterns on my own. Mainly what I remember was the Supervisor of Flying decided to cold to be thrown into the solo tank, as it had a 2 inch sheet of ice on it. So a couple of my WONDERFUL classmates spent over an hour breaking up and removing all the ice. So THEN they could throw me into the, literally, ICE COLD solo tank.

First glider solo, I went with a instructor from Laughlin in his 7KCAB over to the glider field near San Antonio. I forget if it was the first or second time I flew there, the instructor asked if I had soloed. I said not in gliders. He said no problem, then he asked, "have you ever done a simulated rope break?" Nope. "Oh, let's take one more flight to make sure you are ready to solo." Hmm, I wonder what will happen on this one?????? So yes, one each simulated rope break, and then I soloed.

One more, A-10. There are no two seaters. There was a simulator, but students were not allowed to fly it. So we got a cockpit procedures trainer check out. The CPT looked like the real thing, but all the gauges were pictures. But all the moving things moved. So you went over the pre-start, start, pre-takeoff, after landing, and shutdown checklists, also all the boldface emergency procedures. Then you went out and did the same thing in an aircraft, actually starting it up, while your instructor stood on the ladder. If that went well, the next day you had your first flight. The instructor flew the chase position (loose wingtip formation), and we joked, that he was there to tell the crash trucks where the crash site was. Not a big deal, very straightforward aircraft to fly.

Comment

Originally posted by B.Butler View Post
                          I learned to fly in an Air Force aero club
                          I had bad experiences with two Aero Clubs: WPAFB in the 60's (as a 2Lt) and Buckley in the 80's (as a contractor). Both of them were pencil-whipping MX which led to me quitting the first, and the second being flat-out closed down by the base CO when the FAA raided it. But the T-34's were sure sweet when they were working...

Comment

I wanted to start a new thread about Solos, but it got tacked on to this one, but was not popping up as recent. So posting to it to bump it.

Comment

I wanted to start a new thread about Solos, but it got tacked on to this one, but was not popping up as recent. So posting to it to bump it.
                              Odd - Maybe Mike can move it.

My first solos are much fewer and (I guess) equally not exciting. My very first solo was an early morning affair at Flying Cloud airport in a Cessna C152. It was a sunny, summer morning. Pretty calm air, as I recall. Like many, the two things I remember are that plane sure seemed bigger with no one sitting next to me, and it had more "get up and go" without the instructor.

My only other solo of note was in a glider. Also uneventful, but fun.

Comment

A different type of solo was when I made A/C in Vietnam and especially when I was flying guns. A new type of responsibility. I wish I could have said it was uneventful.

Grace and Peace,
                                I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
                                48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Working...
                                X