Navy pilot who shot down R MIGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post
    and #2 When i was first checked out in the T-33 I distinctly reall being strongly advised/told to - "keep your RPMs up on final so you'll have some response if you need the power!"

best, randy
    Should "splain" this, we flew T-bird finals with the speed brakes out/deployed so's we could keep the RPMs up at 65%.

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post

Should "splain" this, we flew T-bird finals with the speed brakes out/deployed so's we could keep the RPMs up at 65%.

best, randy
      Same with the T-37. Speed brakes in the pitch out (overhead pattern), or on extended final. Thrust attenuators were automatic with speed brake deployed, based on throttle position.

And yes, from 60 - 65% to Mil power was pretty quick. Idle to 60 - 65% could feel like an ETERNITY.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post

Idle to 60 - 65% could feel like an ETERNITY.
        CONCUR, same with the old T-bird!

best, randy

Comment

This reminds me of the movie "Topgun". The CO is talking to Maverick about Maverick's dad and him being shot down in an air battle with some Migs on the wrong side of some line where no one was suppose to be.
          I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
          48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post
            on the wrong side of some line where no one was suppose to be.
            39th Parallel?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
              39th Parallel?
              38th is/was the North/South border. More likely it was the Yalu River, the other side of which is in China.
              Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post

More likely it was the Yalu River,
                Yup, concur, still well recall that our IPs in cadets (I was after the Korean fracas) were strongly advised - "don't go north of the Yalu".

Can still remember a photo poster on the wall of an F-86 pilot who'd went through cadets a couple of years before me, a Lt. James Lowe, F-86 Ace.

best, randy
                Last edited by Randy Sohn; 08-05-2019, 22:34.

Comment

Yah, ya wouldn’t want us Snuffys doing what General MacArthur did in an unarmed plane :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Siciliano View Post
                    Yah, ya wouldn’t want us Snuffys doing what General MacArthur did in an unarmed plane :-)
                    Come on, you know the rules do not apply to those who wear stars. Or 5 stripes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post
                      This reminds me of the movie "Topgun". The CO is talking to Maverick about Maverick's dad and him being shot down in an air battle with some Migs on the wrong side of some line where no one was suppose to be.
                      Bill,
                      They were alluding to incidents such as this during the Vietnam War. There were several and at least one involved US Navy aircraft up North in Route Pack Six. https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the...s-521fb522369f

Best,
                      Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post

38th is/was the North/South border.
                        Not really. The post -1953 boundary is much more irregular.

Bill
                        (Who spent a year looking across it)
                        Last edited by B.Butler; 08-06-2019, 17:48.

Comment

...and nearly all of it North of 38N.

Comment

Working...
                          X