Long Flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post

That's what I was afraid of....2/3 of mine! IHM (I Hate Moonies).
    The good news is, the later big engine Mooneys are only slightly faster, but burn fuel at your rate.

Comment

That makes me feel a lot better, Terry.

Comment

We were just talking about this today at the airport. A local Mooney pilot said he was burning 11 GPH on a long flight recently. I thought that was wrong, way too high. But the guy who told us that said the Mooney pilot claimed it was because he had the "big engine."

I thought Mooneys were fuel efficient. I could match those numbers in my Bonanza.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post

10.1 GPH
          Ouch! I burn at least 11 GPH in my 182 and I'm about to fly it from Idaho to Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by Gil Buettner View Post
            We were just talking about this today at the airport. A local Mooney pilot said he was burning 11 GPH on a long flight recently. I thought that was wrong, way too high. But the guy who told us that said the Mooney pilot claimed it was because he had the "big engine."

I thought Mooneys were fuel efficient. I could match those numbers in my Bonanza.
            The big engines are TIO-540 or IO-550 or TSIO-550 turbo normalized. So similar to Bo. They can pull them way back, but it seems most are running at 16 - 17, but over 185 KTAS, some over 200.

The little engine ones are IO-360 or TSIO-360. I have the TSIO so benefit from the TAS gains with flying high. Down low, I am about the same as the IO-360 planes, maybe a bit more fuel burn due to some losses with turbo.

Comment

Working...
            X