New Message notification

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I'll try it, Mike....but it's trying to show me as new messages I read weeks ago.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
      I'll try it, Mike....but it's trying to show me as new messages I read weeks ago.
      Things seem to be working correctly again. Thanks, Mike.

      Comment


      • #18
        Here's an example of the behavior of the "New Since Last Visit" box I mentioned a few days ago. This shows the box as it appears now, 2PM MST, and a section of the Topics menu showing other new posts:

        Comment


        • #19
          And here's a snip from 3:44 PM MST today, showing an unflagged post by Bruce in the "Bird strike" thread.

          Comment


          • #20
            Ralph: The circumstances under which you're getting that filter will help me understand what's happening. For instance, if new posts are accumulating in the message sections but not showing up in your "New Since Last Visit" and you've been active on the forum or "present" in any logged way, you will not see anything showing up in the "Last Visit" filter. If this is the case, your best shot is using the "Recent Posts" in the upper-right part of the forum ...

            Click image for larger version

Name:	rp.png
Views:	18
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	1616

            ... which will effectively tell the forum to refresh your session and show you the latest posts.

            Comment


            • #21
              Mike--

              I usually leave the window up for long periods, including overnight. If I refresh the window in the morning, posts that have gone up in the interim show up -- sometimes and not others. Sometimes part of the new ones appear.

              Comment


              • #22
                Ralph: The open tab is the culprit in fouling your "New Since" filter. Just use "Recent" per above instead. And as for "part" of the new ones appearing, I'm assuming you mean you're only seeing the first two lines of longer messages in that filter? If that's the case, that's also expected behavior, as "New Since Last" summarizes the new activity and limits each message's summary to two lines in that view. After those two lines just hit "See More" if the message is longer -- you'll get the full message. Or you can click the "Go to Post" to launch into the forum/section structure.

                Comment


                • #23
                  No, I mean it may show titles of one or two posts when there are four or five, and refreshing the Avsig tab doesn't change it. But I'll try out the "recent" button.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post

                    Things seem to be working correctly again. Thanks, Mike.
                    Mike -- My problems continue with messages being shown as "new" to me (not via the list on the right hand side, but via the filled in bubbles) even if I try to mark all messages in the section as being read, and exiting via clicking the 'Avsig' link on the top left as you mentioned before. This started sometime yesterday.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I'll try to duplicate this, Scott. I'm still not seen the behavior, but had a theory about the forum's "soft delete" function interfering with some browsers (acting as a "stuck" notification) -- don't see one of those in either of the "bubble" sections.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I continue to use a system on this, and all forums I visit, that doesn't rely on new message notifications. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

                        Sections with new messages are indicated on the Forums page by the blue caption icon. I hold down the <CTRL> key while clicking on that link so that it opens the section in a separate browser tab. (Chrome has an option to bring the newly opened tab to the "top" but that is not the default behavior)

                        Threads in the newly opened section with new messages have a blue page icon and the round "first post" icon. I hold down the <CTRL> key while clicking on that new post icon to open the thread to the first new message in a new tab.

                        When I finish with a thread I close that tab which brings me back to the thread list tab.

                        When I finish with the section I close that tab which brings me back to the forum section list.

                        When I finish with all the sections I hit <F5> to refresh to see if any new messages have been posted while I've been reading the forum. If not, I close out the forum.

                        None of that helps with Scott's problem but it works with every forum I visit on a variety of different platforms.

                        I also see a case where the blue caption icon doesn't clear for a section on the forum list if I haven't read each, and every, thread with new messages. In those cases, I do the quick <F5> refresh, to make sure there isn't a new post, then click the [Mark Channels Read] link at the bottom of the Forum sections list.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Mike Overly View Post
                          I'll try to duplicate this, Scott. I'm still not seen the behavior, but had a theory about the forum's "soft delete" function interfering with some browsers (acting as a "stuck" notification) -- don't see one of those in either of the "bubble" sections.
                          Thanks for looking at it Mike.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Larry sreyoB View Post
                            I continue to use a system on this, and all forums I visit, that doesn't rely on new message notifications. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

                            Sections with new messages are indicated on the Forums page by the blue caption icon. I hold down the <CTRL> key while clicking on that link so that it opens the section in a separate browser tab. (Chrome has an option to bring the newly opened tab to the "top" but that is not the default behavior)

                            Threads in the newly opened section with new messages have a blue page icon and the round "first post" icon. I hold down the <CTRL> key while clicking on that new post icon to open the thread to the first new message in a new tab.

                            When I finish with a thread I close that tab which brings me back to the thread list tab.

                            When I finish with the section I close that tab which brings me back to the forum section list.

                            When I finish with all the sections I hit <F5> to refresh to see if any new messages have been posted while I've been reading the forum. If not, I close out the forum.
                            I don't start a new tab, but I've been essentially using the same method.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
                              Thanks for looking at it Mike.
                              I was able to clear the sections showing as containing new messages (that really weren't) by using Larry's method of opening the section in a new tab, opening the thread in which the alleged new message appeared, and then clicking on "Avsig" on the upper left part of the screen. I'm unsure whether the last step had any more effect than the sacrifice of an armadillo beneath a full moon.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
                                I'm unsure whether the last step had any more effect than the sacrifice of an armadillo beneath a full moon.
                                Well, there's your problem. It takes a wombat.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X