New Message notification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I had the same thing with Firefox.

    Comment


    • With later posts, it seems to have settled down and works correctly.

      Comment


      • Full Monty. Fresh new session in Edge. Every section "lit up" except for Air Traffic Control, Avionics/Gadgets/Toys, Hardware/Software, News and Help. Some of these other sections haven't had a post in a month or more. The Aircraft section seems to behave normally. It was lit up, but only one sub-section was lit. I assume there's a new message there.

        Comment


        • It did it again. Everything except Hanger Flying, Aircraft (and sub-forums), Air Traffic Control, and Flight Sims. In short, the only sections that aren't lit up have had something posted in the last 6 days. A few sections have posts made today that are legitimacy lit up.

          This is in Edge, no extensions, from a new window (not a stale session). The same thing is appearing on my phone, so, the flags are set in the forum. The phone session was opened, but I'm sure it timed out days ago.

          Edit: Ok, that's even stranger - once I finished reading all the new messages, ALL the sections reverted to "normal" (unlit).
          Last edited by Russell Holton; 08-06-2018, 01:37.

          Comment


          • I know Mike's getting a lot of comments about little bugs, but I'd like to say this is sure coming together well. Checking new messages will be a piece of cake, once working properly. Big improvement over the old board (s). And thanks very much for the time you put into this.

            Comment


            • And one more time.

              This morning, several subsections in Aircraft are highlighted. But on the main page, only the Aircraft section is highlighted, not the subsections that are highlighted once I enter the Aircraft section.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
                Edit: Ok, that's even stranger - once I finished reading all the new messages, ALL the sections reverted to "normal" (unlit).
                I was able to duplicate this. I'm beginning to think the "trigger" to this is letting too many unread messages pile up. There were a few sections I was taking my time in reading. But once I read all the legitimately "new" messages, everything fixed itself.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
                  I was able to duplicate this. I'm beginning to think the "trigger" to this is letting too many unread messages pile up.
                  Third time. Clearly it's something related to the age, span, or number of "unread" messages. Once set, it doesn't seem to go away until all are read.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
                    Third time. Clearly it's something related to the age, span, or number of "unread" messages. Once set, it doesn't seem to go away until all are read.
                    I don't think so.....all sections lit up for me just now as having unread messages, when 9 hours ago I had cleared all unread messages. And, no "new messages" appeared on the right hand side list at the time when all sections lit up. Ugh.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
                      I don't think so.....all sections lit up for me just now as having unread messages, when 9 hours ago I had cleared all unread messages. And, no "new messages" appeared on the right hand side list at the time when all sections lit up. Ugh.
                      Interesting. It might be a case of difference causes with similar results. I don't remember seeing a situation where ALL the sections lit up. All I remember is seeing "most".

                      Comment


                      • I am definitely seeing this when switching computers. Spend a week on travel on a my laptop, then when I get home, it occurs. But lately, less false indications.

                        I do not leave tabs open, but I do not log out of sessions, I just close the tab. I may or may not close the browser, depending on the computer. If using my work computer, I log off the computer every evening. My laptop typically gets put to sleep (close lid), my home computer stays up and running.

                        Comment


                        • I'm seeing it on the same computer.....I log in and out of Avsig each session. This morning, for example, the New Since Last Visit list didn't include Ray's posting of the Phila. newspaper article on the They Shall Not Grow Old movie; nor did it show Tom's map of cold weather a/la Sven in Minnesota. They weren't listed but did show up in Recent Posts.

                          Comment


                          • Scott, in my experience, about three months ago or so the list of New Since Last Visit was exactly that. Then I began to notice occasional exceptions. Recently, these exceptions appear several times a day. Mike explained it as the complexity of the search algorithm.

                            My experience of 40 years producing and maintaining programming products points to a simple cause: a bad fix. When things run okay for months, then suddenly don't we always looked at the most recent bug fix. Without fail, it was always the cause.

                            Either the forum owners will fix it . . . or they won't.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Ward Miller View Post
                              Scott, in my experience, about three months ago or so the list of New Since Last Visit was exactly that. Then I began to notice occasional exceptions. Recently, these exceptions appear several times a day. Mike explained it as the complexity of the search algorithm.

                              My experience of 40 years producing and maintaining programming products points to a simple cause: a bad fix. When things run okay for months, then suddenly don't we always looked at the most recent bug fix. Without fail, it was always the cause.

                              Either the forum owners will fix it . . . or they won't.
                              Ward: There have been no changes to that search box. We’ve established that results are highly dependent on your cached presence on the forum, so again, I’d suggest you skip the box if it’s giving you grief. The "Recent Posts" selection should serve you fine, but you can always browse the section summaries as well.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Mike Overly View Post

                                Ward: There have been no changes to that search box.
                                Mike, many months ago this function worked properly. Now it doesn't. I've changed nothing at my end. I still log on and look for New Messages the same as I always have, but now the results are variable. Maybe, the change has been at other than the search box, but something HAS changed . . . and not at my end. To say otherwise does not make it go away.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X