Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A. Niemyer View Post
    Terry,
    I suspect they've figured out that if the retaining clip is installed incorrectly, it's going to crap out well before 200 hours. I don't know how many 470s will be affected; I don't think any OEM is installing them right now; AFAIK, Mooney, Beech, Piper and Cirrus are using 360/520/550s pretty much exclusively. I think it will affect anyone who had a Factory OH or ReMan during that period. Possibly those custom shops who sent their crankshafts to CAM or bought new crankshafts from them.

Andy
    Agreed. There may be a few Mooney built in that time frame, but not many. But Mooneys (even the STCs) did use the 470.

Comment

Originally posted by John O'Shaughnessy [FCM] View Post
      We recently (last spring) upgraded to an IO-550 from Air Plains in one of our C-182s. It's "on the list."
      How many hours? I am sure you are over 200.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post

How many hours? I am sure you are over 200.
        About 300. Our mechanics determined we're OK. Not sure if it was a serial # check, or something else.

Comment

Good news.

Comment

Well, everyone needs to STFB; the draft AD is on the street for a 02/23 release, and it ain't pretty. NO 200+ hour exemption and NO 5 hours to ferry aircraft; Ferry Permits only. This is turning into quite a $%^&show.

Comment

Holy mackerel.

Comment

I suspect that CMI is fighting that one behind the scenes. Since most of the work will be done under warranty.

Comment

Since the AD will most likely not publish officially until later this week, I'm told a lot of folks with affected engines are moving their aircraft early to avoid the Ferry Permit issue. Some folks called their shops by midweek last week and a number have already had their inspections done.

Best,
                  Andy

Comment

Originally posted by A. Niemyer View Post
                    Since the AD will most likely not publish officially until later this week, I'm told a lot of folks with affected engines are moving their aircraft early to avoid the Ferry Permit issue. Some folks called their shops by midweek last week and a number have already had their inspections done.

Best,
                    Andy
                    It would be interesting to find out how many of the inspections find a problem.
                    I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
                    48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Andy -- Unfortunately that URL doesn't get me to the soon-to-be-published AD....do you have a more precise link?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
                        Andy -- Unfortunately that URL doesn't get me to the soon-to-be-published AD....do you have a more precise link?
                        Here you go: https://public-inspection.federalreg...2023-03796.pdf

Comment

Discovered a new term "quality escape".

Comment

Thanks Andy.

Comment

We ended up having to do the inspection. Our mechanic checked our engine (I forget if he had to pull two or three cylinders) and ours was fine. No issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X