Unnecessary OverWater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always tried to get high enough where even if I couldn't get to shore, Center would know precisely where I was before I touched down and how much I didn't want to stay there long.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
      Just being a devil's advocate, how many of us have had a cruise flight engine failure?
      One in an ill-maintained Tomahawk. Rather than repair or replace leaking fuel tanks, the owner dumped a LOT of sealer into them. Sumped a few particles, then clear on preflight. 90 minutes later, the gascolator got sealed. I did my first night emergency landing and my first landing at PHL simultaneously in a honking crosswind. Sputtered my way to the ramp at full throttle plus boost pump.
      Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
        But no forced landing from CRUISE flight.

Several from departure or climb. A few of one engine in a twin.

Was just wondering.

I had a stuck valve in a C-172 coming out of first flight. It was still flying, so I started to come around to land, when it unstuck. So continued home, but stayed gliding distance from airstrips all the way.

And sucked a cattle egret through an A-10 engine right after rotation. Lost a little bit of fan speed, but uneventful landing.
        Well, I consider mine in the single a forced landing. While some power was being developed I wasn't going any distance and spiraled down to a landing at St. Augustine.

Comment

Not an engine failure... but, I landed with the cows with a student when the throttle linkage failed (fell off) I thought it was supposed to spring load toward full... but this one stayed at idle (from power off stalls)

Comment

Couple of times with the J-57, both were precautionary shutdowns due to low oil pressure indication.

One we were certain was a gauge; but since we were headed to Hawaii from NAS Homeplate, we decided to RTB where the parts were. Yes, there was a winter storm, so all of SF Bay Area was in flow from the north. GCA, over the Bay Bridge, broke out at mins over the Bridge, wet runway, gusting crosswinds from the right. Knowing the gauge was the culprit, we had restarted the engine for the approach. After we shut down, we all got soaking wet checking out the nacelle, which had no evidence whatsoever of any oil leak, whatsoever. After we were safe and sound, albeit disappointed, in the Ready Room, one of our engine mechanics came up topside with an oil jar with about 3-4 fingers worth of oil in it. He was white as a ghost. "Here's the oil we drained from the engine, sir," he said. "Yeah?" "That's all the oil it had left in it, sir. Inner seal broke, all the oil went right out the engine exhaust."

Wow, sometimes the gauges don't lie after all!

Andy

Comment

Great story and perfect reason for a precautionary shut down. We don't know, what we don't know. Need't discuss where you'd have been in a single.

Comment

Although the Navy has flown quite a number of singles off of carriers, where the nearest land was straight down, and none at surface level within range of the aircraft.

But yes, they did carry survival gear.

Comment

Yes, but Andy still goes by a handle of other than bob!

Comment

My only engine shutdown was over water--the Indian Ocean, at about 3am.

We bumped the power up a little on the other three engines (DC8-72) and, four hours later, arrived Singapore on-time, and under burn!

Turned out it was just a bad pressure sender; nothing wrong with the engine. The mechanic deferred it and the airplane, and new crew, continued on to Tokyo (Yokota AFB) while we enjoyed our Singapore layover.

(Not a very dramatic story, I'm afraid)

Comment

Originally posted by Larry sreyoB View Post
                      My ........(Not a very dramatic story, I'm afraid)
                      Likewise, try'na think now if there was another one or so? Boeing C-97, just past ETP between Honolulu (Hickham)and San Fran (Travis).

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post

Likewise, try'na think now if there was another one or so? Boeing C-97, just past ETP between Honolulu (Hickham)and San Fran (Travis).

best, randy
                        I made a couple of those KSUU to PHIK trips enroute to that tropical paradise in SE Asia. ROFL
                        I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
                        48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post
                          I made a couple of those KSUU to PHIK trips enroute to that tropical paradise in SE Asia. ROFL
                          I did the KSSU-PHIK trip once in the DC8. From HIK, we did a few trips to Kwaj and Wake before returning. Lots of ocean out there...

Comment

Originally posted by Larry sreyoB View Post
                            I did the KSSU-PHIK trip once in the DC8. From HIK, we did a few trips to Kwaj and Wake before returning. Lots of ocean out there...

On one of the trips we also stopped at Kwaj. Never been to Wake. I did Kadena, Anderson and Subic also. All in the mighty B707-323C, one of my favorite airplanes.
                            I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
                            48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bridges View Post

On one of the trips we also stopped at Kwaj. Never been to Wake. I did Kadena, Anderson and Subic also. All in the mighty B707-323C, one of my favorite airplanes.
                              Chuckle, chuckle, sounds like one of those MAC/MATS jet powered contractors. All we had in the MN ANG were those ex-Travis AFB (Pacific Division) C-97A's, sure concur with the comment - lotta water out there crossing the oceans. Still recall the comment/story about Wake Island and the shark "Mag Check Charlie". He'd lie in the water off the end of the ruway there and listen for a rough engine and then, if he heard a questionable one, quick swim around to the water off the departure end of the runway and wait for the ditching!

best, randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post

Gilmore, duz that altitude make you feel better? All I ever worried 'bout was the last 50 feet or so.

best, randy
                                Sorry for the tardy reply - I haven't been here much lately.

I used to cross the Big Pond at 9000 eastbound and 10,000 going west, until a guy in a Cessna lost his engine mid-lake and went in about four miles offshore from Ludington. Pilot lived, three pax perished. So I started adding altitude.

Depending on wind, I figured there was probably 10 minutes or so when I could not make shore if the engine quit. To answer Scott, going around really did add a lot of time, and I had a well-maintained, relatively fast Bonanza, and carried a raft and wore a flotation device. Yes, I know that survival was questionable. I once asked a Coast Guard pilot how long it would take from Traverse City to look for me in the middle of the lake, and I didn't like the answer.

Now that I am older, I find I have a lot more time to go places. Mostly now I take the Badger car ferry or drive around.

Comment

Working...
                                X