CAP-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Poindexter, that's definitely an airworthiness issue!

Comment

Well, if they let that go, you have to wonder how many other surprises await.

Comment

Nothing major. Had two mechanics look it over very well. Both have wood plane experience and one has a lot of CAP-10 experience.

The only other OMG thing was the belts seem to be original. One set the tag is missing and the other it is unreadable. But not expensive to have them rewebbed.

Comment

Harnesses removed and shipped to be rewebbed. New prop ordered (another CAP-10 owner has lent me his spare prop to get flying, new one is 20 weeks lead time). Carpet dropped off at interior shop to have a new one made.

Some minor repairs this week and the wing will be mated to the fuselage, so it will be moveable. Then painting the wings (red sunburst on top, red fore/aft stripes on the bottom).

Comment

Wing and fuselage are Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2515.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	25452 mated again.

Comment

Lookin' more like an airplane!

Comment

Yes. And it makes it mobile, which helps A LOT.

Comment

Got it washed and it looks better. Prepping to paint the wings and do some touch up. Then finish assembly.

Bad news, chutes are too old, so just order two new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
                    Bad news, chutes are too old, so just order two new ones.
                    Seems like a good idea anyhow, not knowing all the history of them. Stuff like that prop passing annual would add to my suspicions about chutes, harnesses, etc.

Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

Agreed. It also seems that while there is no official number, PIA highly recommends a max life of 20 years for parachutes. EU has a 15 year limit. And two riggers I talked to will not repack a chute over 20 years.

Harnesses are back with new webbing and some new hardware. Chutes will arrive next Wednesday.

Cool this is, according to the insurance, I am free to fly the airplane now, no checkout/dual/solo time required. TRUST ME, I am going to do at least a flight or two (maybe more) with a qualified instructor.

Comment

Painting the wings and some touch up elsewhere is done.

New seat upholstery is back (pics later). Seat belts are back.

WOOHOO, new prop was delivered today. A lot quicker than expected.

Waiting on new rudder cables

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2548.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	974.0 KB
ID:	25555

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2550.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	892.2 KB
ID:	25556

Comment

Nice! Like your Mooney, it should be quite visible air to air.

Comment

How's the Mooney doing?

Comment

Another update. Rudder cables came in and are installed.

Mechanic started it, and it started fine and ran well. A few little things, and with some luck will be test flown in a few days or so

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
                                Another update. Rudder cables came in and are installed.

Mechanic started it, and it started fine and ran well. A few little things, and with some luck will be test flown in a few days or so
                                Excellent! How does that work with regard to the airworthiness certificate, given so much structural handling? Or is it just make and model plus A&P signoff?

Comment

Working...
                                X