Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to know. Thanks.

Comment

Like Scott, I can enter squawk codes from the 650s. Since I have a vertical panel and out of habit, I can do it all on the 345, but the 750 does indeed give you full control. Are there shops nearby that have experience in panel upgrades to 252s?

Comment

I have 3 avionics shops nearby. Two with good reputations. Not sure how experienced they are with 252s. But the one was recommended by an experienced Mooney mechanic.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
          Odd they'd put the callsign and freq on the Bay area sectional (or TAC), not exactly a shortage of navaids there.
          Haha! The call sign is there because that's the name of the visual reporting point. The 560 is the elevation of the hazard, not the frequency. The frequency is 680...

Paul

Comment

Thanks, Paul.

Comment

OK, here is the plan, as of now.

I am going to upgrade the 650 for a 650 Xi for future enhancements. Also probably a Flight Stream 510 for flight plan uploads. I am upgrading the JPI EDM 700 to an 830. All the sensors are the same, just have to add a few.

Eventually, I will put in a 10" G3X Touch. GFC 500 autopilot, and a new audio panel. If I can save up enough, I may put a 7" portrait panel on the left, but that is low priority.

Comment

I'll look around, and see if I can find a 7" picture for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cole Loftus View Post
                  I'll look around, and see if I can find a 7" picture for you.
                  Just to be CLEAR, that is a 7: portrait orientation G3X Touch screen.

But I could use a portrait of you, I need a new one for my dartboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post

Just to be CLEAR, that is a 7: portrait orientation G3X Touch screen.

But I could use a portrait of you, I need a new one for my dartboard.
                    We can talk about it in two weeks.

Comment

I'm bringing popcorn. Terry, thanks for drawing Cole's fire from me....

Comment

Learning the joys of owning a plane.

So, as an interim upgrade, I decided to replace the JPI 700 with an 830. Bigger screen, logging, more things displayed. The nice thing is, the 830 uses the same probes for CHT, EGT, and TIT. Great.

First was figuring out how to orient the 830 display, as it is a rectangle, that can be oriented any of 4 ways. Up, the gear switch cannot be placed in the Down position. Right interferes with the radio stack. Left runs into the KAS-297B altitude preselect. Down runs into the StormScope. Finally, we swapped the Storm Scope and the CDI for Nav2 and let the 830 overlap the top of the CDI. Can still set it at the bottom and see the needle and to/from flag.

Then, when actually doing the install, it seems my plane originally had a GEM engine monitor, and there is an adapter to allow the 700 to use the GEM probes, but they will not work with the 830.

So, after ordering a set of probes .........

And an extra week in the shop ..........

The next upgrade is supposed to go more smoothly. Going to upgrade this GTN650 to the GTN650Xi and add a Flight Stream 510

Comment

Never a dull moment, Terry!

Comment

Get a HUD for the 830, then orient the windshield as desired. Only nuisance would be adding inverted oil and fuel systems, but could be fun.
                            Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

G3X all day Terry, I’ve got two. Overkill in my SLING2…

Comment

Originally posted by John Tucci View Post
                                G3X all day Terry, I’ve got two. Overkill in my SLING2…
                                Eventually. But that also requires a GFC-500 autopilot. So a LOT of AMUs.

Comment

Working...
                                X