New Message notification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Message notification

Mike -- This morning, when I log into Avsig, a number of sections indicate that there are new messages in them (the filled in blue quote bubble) when in fact there are not. I haven't seen this before, scanning for the blue bubble has been an effective way to get to new messages in the sections in which they appear. The "bogus" message notifications don't show up in the new messages since list visit log on the right side of the screen.

In the picture below, you'll see the blue bubbles but with the most recent messages being weeks ago. Ignore the sections with no blue bubble but with messages from today...I've read those so they wouldn't trigger the blue bubble icon.

I haven't noticed this behavior yet. Are you visiting from the same device and browser?

Comment

Mike, I've noticed the converse: no new msg notifications when there are new ones.

Comment

Scott: I logged in with a test ID I haven't used in awhile and I think I see the issue. This software leaves the unread forum message notification icon lit like Sig II did if you leave a message without indexing out of its parent section -- I *think* that's what you're seeing.

Ralph: Are you referring to the same notification "bubbles" per above or the filter of new message summaries in the right column?

Comment

Are you guys deleting cookies?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Overly View Post
            I haven't noticed this behavior yet. Are you visiting from the same device and browser?
            Yes. And it's continuing this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mase Taylor View Post
              Are you guys deleting cookies?
              No, and without problem. This issue came up today in the first instance that I've seen. Deleting cookies each time would be PITA.

Comment

I haven't noticed any issues, but then by habit, I always go back to the section after reading a thread to make sure there's nothing more before moving back to the top. I know some forums tended to act wonky if you just jumped from the thread back to the top. Which probably explains how I developed that habit.

Comment

Ralph: Are you referring to the same notification "bubbles" per above or the filter of new message summaries in the right column?
                  The ones in the right column. Sometimes it's empty, but if I browse the rest of the page I can tell by the dates there are new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post

Yes. And it's continuing this afternoon.
                    Scott: Can you confirm this is happening even after you have read the message and exited via the forum index? Sig II also left lit icons if messages were dismissed via other methods.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
                      The ones in the right column. Sometimes it's empty, but if I browse the rest of the page I can tell by the dates there are new ones.
                      Ralph: Do you have the forum open in a tab during the period where you see this behavior, or are you missing this message summary upon a new login or visit?

Comment

Scott: Can you confirm this is happening even after you have read the message and exited via the forum index? Sig II also left lit icons if messages were dismissed via other methods.
                        Mike - Not sure what you mean by exiting the forum index. After I’ve read the last new message I log out. That could be from the index page or a message page. Up until today the logging out cleared all the blue bubbles (except for the Hot Section, where I go not, and I did see some of this behavior with the In Memoriam messages as well...flagged as new although I’d read ‘em.).

Comment

Ralph: Do you have the forum open in a tab
                          I generally keep it open in a tab all the time. Next time it happens, I'll try closing and reopening and see if there's a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post

Mike - Not sure what you mean by exiting the forum index. After I’ve read the last new message I log out. That could be from the index page or a message page. Up until today the logging out cleared all the blue bubbles (except for the Hot Section, where I go not, and I did see some of this behavior with the In Memoriam messages as well...flagged as new although I’d read ‘em.).
                            If there are any messages still marked unread in the section you last visited and/or you leave the section without using the index back to the AVSIG forum, those blue bubbles will stay lit. This is similar to needing to hit "Index" to get those yellow lightbulbs on II to go out. Forum index navigation:

Click image for larger version

Name:	sig.png
Views:	207
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	1529

Hit the "AVSIG" index per above after viewing all messages in a given section and you shouldn't see a lit unread message bubble after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Jones View Post
                              I generally keep it open in a tab all the time. Next time it happens, I'll try closing and reopening and see if there's a difference.
                              I think you will see a difference. The software is monitoring activity and "presence" to provide that New Since Last Visit filter, and with a tab open our hamsterbots get all Hotel Californiaed about your whereabouts.

Comment

Working...
                              X