X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
    Never a dull moment, Terry!
    Nope.

At least the engine is back for our CAP plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Tackett View Post
      Get a HUD for the 830, then orient the windshield as desired. Only nuisance would be adding inverted oil and fuel systems, but could be fun.
      I wouldn't mind a HUD for PFD info. Not for engine info.

Comment

OK, plane is done. Reading the manual on the 830 to configure it.

To fit the 830, we swapped the CDI and the StormScope and have the 830 overhanging the CDI. You can still set the reciprocal on the bottom and see the needle and sort of see the to/from flag.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1824.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	771.6 KB
ID:	23190

Comment

First step done. Upgraded the JPI 700 to an 830 and installed the MicroKit Landing Height System. This thing is awesome. It uses laser to call out altitudes. 200, 100, 70, 50, 20, 10, 5, 2, 1 Makes landing a Mooney easy. The latest model also checks for your gear switch being down and starts giving you Check Gear calls at 200 feet if the gear switch is Up. This is the main reason I installed it.

Second step also done. Upgraded my GTN-650 to a Xi. I did it mainly for the longer term support and upgrades. Comments here helped the decision.

Had a GREAT experience with Sarasota Avionics, Sarasota locations. Great people, wonderful service. The way a shop should be run. Not only did they do the swap in about half the time quoted, they also dealt with Garmin to switch my data subscription to the new box.

I also got a Flight Stream 510. SWEET. Now I can call clearance with just the radios on, shut them down, put the cleared routing into my iPad and then once I have the plane running, shoot it into the GTN. And in flight, if I get rerouted or even a Direct, I put it into the GTN and it updates the iPad with ForeFlight automatically.

BTW, I have put 36 hours on my plane since picking it up August 13.

Comment

Nice, Terry! Happy flying!

Comment

Looks great! And as I mentioned in the other thread, a very pretty plane and nice panel (getting nicer!)

Comment

Thanks. Having put 5 flights on the new 830, I am liking it.

Thanks for the complements.

Comment

Getting panel plans finalized. Looking at a Jan 2024 install start.

I will keep the G-5 and GTN-650Xi and GTX-345

I will add G3X, GTN-750Xi, GFC-500 with Yaw Damper, PS Engineering 450B

Keeping the 650 and adding the 750 is not much more than swapping the 650 for a GNC-355 or basic nav/com and a 750.

A few other "little" things like Cies fuel senders, panel LEMO connectors for ANR headsets. Panel dock mount for AERA 760 on right side.

Comment

I'm looking forward to flying my new stuff after it comes out of annual in a couple of weeks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Avionics 2023 Small.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	24308
                    Attached Files

Comment

NICE.

G3X? And is that a 7 inch on the right side? I may consider that, but I picked up an AERA 760 for a good deal so thinking a dock for that.

What is on the far right? I see you kept a CDI also.

Comment

Hi Terry -- G500Txis, 10" PFD and 7" EIS Far right is an Avidyne EX500 that I've had for years to display the analog ship's radar.

Comment

Aah, OK.

Why did you pick the G500Txi over the G3X?

Comment

Terry -- Main reason was that the G3X didn't fit in my panel without structural changes that would have required a DER. Secondary reason is that it's a better display, easily seen when the two are side by side in a classroom setting (Garmin factory training).

Comment

Thanks.

I am hoping for a G3Xi announcement at Oshkosh.

Comment

Update

Airplane is scheduled for avionics work January 2024.

When done, will have the following:

G3X Touch with EIS
                                G-5 (currently installed)
                                GTN-750Xi
                                GTN-650Xi (currently installed)
                                GTX-345R (to replace GTX-345 currently installed)
                                GFC-500 with Yaw damper
                                Ceis Fuel tanks senders
                                PS Engineering 450B Audio Panel
                                GDL-52R for XM Wx and Music
                                WX500 remote Storm Scope
                                Dock for AERA 760 on right side

And a few little things like USB-A and USB-C outlets both sides, LEMO plugs for ANR headsets,

If the budget will stretch, I am considering an Alpha Eagle AOA indicator.

Comment

Working...
                                X