Let the Games Begin - Major Avionics and Interior Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initial test flight was fine. On climb out there were some hunting in pitch, but after level off and some flying, the next climbs were rock solid. I will have to see how it goes over the next few flights. Gamin has put out an SB on alternate gain settings if you have hunting in pitch.

A few minor issues, most of which were fixed that day, but I am in Olathe for Garmin training so did not fly the plane home. Later this week I will do so and do some local flights and short trips. Then, back to the shop for any issues found.

Oh, and if you were wondering, it is AWESOME.

Comment

Plane is home. I was going to spend some quality time today setting up data fields and such, but too hot to be in a non-AC hangar.

Comment

Waaay too hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Dyer HPN/NY View Post
          Waaay too hot.
          Yeah. I'm in the middle of large dirt moving project (dig, fill wheelbarrow, empty wheelbarrow, repeat). I start at first light and stop when my back does -- about two hours later. Nothing else outdoors all day.
          Geology rocks, but geography is where it's at.

Comment

Take care of yourself, Ray. Moving dirt like that isn't easy.

Comment

All dug. Project is an 80 X 2 foot "hellstrip" -- plants between sidewalk and curb. The strip has been chronically weedy. The curb is a few inches lower than the walk, so dirt washes down into the street and promotes plant life in the flow to the storm drain. I have dug down to the curbstone on the curb side, and about 2" below the sidewalk. Tuesday, I get wide Trex boards which will go behind the curbstone on edge, top edge level with the walk. The result will amout to a long, skinny window box. Then I backfill with less weedy dirt to about 1/2" below the top. Last, I plant dwarf fescue (grass). I can mow that in seconds, instead of a half-hour with the weed whacker.

Good side effect: The gas shutoff valve access cap had been buried for at least 63 years. Fortunately, it had never been needed. With a little help from the gas company, the cap is now flush with the future new lawn, and will be clearly visible. Water shutoff was and is OK.
              Geology rocks, but geography is where it's at.

Comment

Narrow, but a looonng project. Nice work.

Comment

Here are pictures of the finished job. Having a few weird things, but one two "major" items.

1) TFR/restricted not showing on the G3X or the 750. They are getting FIS-B data, as I can see traffic and weather. Also, no weather on the Airport Info tab on the G3X.

2) Fuel flow/fuel used is whacked. But a local mechanic (works on the CAP-10) said he ran into flow sensors with a K factor around 60,000. And that range should make my numbers good.

I do want to point out the picture of the very special TOGO guard. John did it 3D printed. I have extras if anyone needs one (Scott?)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2745.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	898.7 KB
ID:	25936 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2746.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	951.1 KB
ID:	25937

Comment

Name:	IMG_2744.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	25939

Comment

One more question for everyone.

I put colored collars on the AP and Trim (red), Start (Yellow) and Alt 1 and 2 field (orange.

What other CBs should be highlighted?

Name:	IMG_2747.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	25941

Comment

Very sharp! I doubt I'll ever own again but if I do, M20 is at the top of my wish-list.

What does the "Go-around" button actually do? Strictly avionics?

Comment

If AP is on, it flies 7 degrees nose up and wings level.

If Flight Director is only on, it commands the same

For TO, it gives you some FD guidance for low IFR until you are high enough to engage AP (min 800 AGL) and start following a heading or your course.

For GA, it gives you AP setting for the initial time to clean up the plane and get the power set. Then you can transition to the missed if needed.

Comment

I wouldn't collar any others, keep it simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
                                One more question for everyone.

I put colored collars on the AP and Trim (red), Start (Yellow) and Alt 1 and 2 field (orange.

What other CBs should be highlighted?

Name:	IMG_2747.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	25941
                                When I was flying Cobras in Vietnam we would put safety wire on the armament system circuits breakers. Instead of trying to find the circuit breakers all we had to do was pull on the safety wire.
                                I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam
                                48th AHC 1971-72

Comment

Working...
                                X