New Message notification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always close my browser sessions. At least the tab, not the entire window.

I run Adblock at home, but where I am right now, no ad blocker.

And this seems to randomly pop up. And as stated before, I spend time on other vBulletin forums without this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
      Same here. Same section.

I left it on, in case Mike wants to look at it.
      I find this most curious. Why both of us on the same section? And it's not one of the more recent sections to get a new post. If it was stale data, I'd expect other sections to light up as well.

Mike, any possibility that a new message is created in a section and then when finalized, it moves to another section? I'd expect a "new message" to set everyone's section flag. If the message is later moved, the flag may not get re-evaluated.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
        I find this most curious
        Sure do hope that you guys get it all straightened out soon, all on here seem to be talking W-A-Y over my head and I'd previously just looked at the "new messages" until Mike took it off/away.

best, randy

Comment

Mike, any possibility that a new message is created in a section and then when finalized, it moves to another section? I'd expect a "new message" to set everyone's section flag. If the message is later moved, the flag may not get re-evaluated.
          I considered that when this first came up and found that a marked-read message remains marked read regardless of where it is moved. On a side note, I'm impressed with the integrity and flexibility of the messaging structure here the more I use the message tools. Hopefully we can get these message bubbles popped. FWIW, mine are still behaving themselves at this hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Sohn View Post

Sure do hope that you guys get it all straightened out soon, all on here seem to be talking W-A-Y over my head and I'd previously just looked at the "new messages" until Mike took it off/away.

best, randy
            Randy: We'll get the New Since Last up again shortly -- just trying to eliminate a variable in the reporting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Overly View Post
              I considered that when this first came up and found that a marked-read message remains marked read regardless of where it is moved.
              That's fine, but what happens to the section flag for a "not yet read" message?

Maybe more to the point, when does the system update the section flags for someone? Is it as messages are added? Or as people become "active"?

Comment

That's fine, but what happens to the section flag for a "not yet read" message?

Maybe more to the point, when does the system update the section flags for someone? Is it as messages are added? Or as people become "active"?
                When you've read a message and it is marked so, the "read" stays with the discrete message no matter where it is moved as far as your login is concerned. Updates in the case of a new response in that message thread will be apparent via the lit section bubble upon your refresh of the forum page or "new" visit to the forum.

Comment

Right. I understand (I think) how the "unread" works by message/thread. The problem we're experiencing is by section. From what I've seen, the section flags have to be cached somewhere. (I'm seeing a "lit" section, when all the threads inside have been read and were read some time ago.) The question is, what triggers the update to the cached flags? Activity on my part (returning), or does it keep a running tally when I'm away?

From what I'm seeing, something goes astray with that "tally" when I return (either a mis-calc while I was away or upon my return). It isn't until I do something that forces it to re-check the section that it resolves.

Comment

Right. I understand (I think) how the "unread" works by message/thread. The problem we're experiencing is by section. From what I've seen, the section flags have to be cached somewhere. (I'm seeing a "lit" section, when all the threads inside have been read and were read some time ago.) The question is, what triggers the update to the cached flags? Activity on my part (returning), or does it keep a running tally when I'm away?

From what I'm seeing, something goes astray with that "tally" when I return (either a mis-calc while I was away or upon my return). It isn't until I do something that forces it to re-check the section that it resolves.
                    That's exactly how the flags work. The flag update will be forced by a refresh at any level, which can be hitting the browser refresh or backing into the main forum via the forum index. But as I look at the issues you're reporting on Sig III and note that you reported identical issues on Sig II (different software and server settings, but similar message tracking scheme) I am wondering more about your setup. What primary browser and extensions do you use when visiting the forum? If it's still the Chrome/IE (recently Edge) combo you mentioned in the Sig II thread, that's a stable baseline, but I see elsewhere you also mentioned running ad blocking software.

If you can launch AVSIG in a clean browser session and religiously hit the page refresh to show the new message flags, then report anomalies, I think we'll get closer to sorting this out.

Comment

Randy: We'll get the New Since Last up again shortly --
                      Ah-so, y gracias, mi amigo! Man, I'm afraid that a lot of people on here have sent messages that asked me something, but that I haven't seen/read any of them!

best, randy

Comment

What primary browser and extensions do you use when visiting the forum? If it's still the Chrome/IE (recently Edge) combo you mentioned in the Sig II thread, that's a stable baseline, but I see elsewhere you also mentioned running ad blocking software.
                        On my work machine, I have Adblock, OneTab, Disable HTML Autoplay, and Video Speed Controller. I don't have any extensions on the phone because, well, it's a phone.

You might also ping Scott Dyer and Terry Carraway to see what they're running since they seem to have reported the same thing.

Something else I'm doing is using just "AVSIG" for my "Theme". If browser sessions are under suspicion, then I think themes are fair game. The AVSIG one seems the most "raw vBulletin".

Interestingly, the last time I saw this, I had switched one of my browsers back to the default "VFR Blue".

Comment

I'm default blue.

I have AdBlock on one machine, but not on this machine.

There are about 3 primary machines I access using. 2x Win 7 and one Win10.

When I travel, I also use a local office work computer (like now).

This issue has occured on every platform I have used.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
                            I'm default blue.

I have AdBlock on one machine, but not on this machine.

There are about 3 primary machines I access using. 2x Win 7 and one Win10.

When I travel, I also use a local office work computer (like now).

This issue has occured on every platform I have used.
                            Terry: Try hitting the "Mark Channels Read" link at the bottom of the main forum screen on an extensionless browser and let me know if your lit message flags unlight. The AVSIG theme you're using should have no effect on the message flags -- I spent a good deal of time in the guts of those during the forum setup, and they have -0- opportunity to intervene with forum function.

There may be contrast issues between stylesheets for some users/installations. For instance, the lit new message bubbles at the forum index level show up very clearly for me no matter what AVSIG style theme I use, however I can see where some people may primarily browse inside a specific discussion section (like Hangar Flying) and depend on unread message cues via the bolded text for threads with unread messages in that environment. In the case of AVSIG VFR and IFR, the bolded Courier font does not assert itself compared to the other styles. I will set the forum stylesheet default for "AVSIG" once we put the main page back together to minimize that issue.

Comment

On my work machine, I have Adblock, OneTab, Disable HTML Autoplay, and Video Speed Controller. I don't have any extensions on the phone because, well, it's a phone.

You might also ping Scott Dyer and Terry Carraway to see what they're running since they seem to have reported the same thing.

Something else I'm doing is using just "AVSIG" for my "Theme". If browser sessions are under suspicion, then I think themes are fair game. The AVSIG one seems the most "raw vBulletin".

Interestingly, the last time I saw this, I had switched one of my browsers back to the default "VFR Blue".
                              I'm not using Adblock or anything like it, but have video speed control, track me not, office editing for docs sheets and slides, google calendar, library extension, and pdf extension, all in Chrome 66.0.3359.181 on 2 Win10/64 machines. I also occasionally use an iPad (latest sw) and even more rarely a Samsung Galaxy S9. I close the session window each time after logging out of Avsig.

Comment

Just to add in another data point. As mentioned above, I read AVSIG on three different Macs running MacOS 10.13.5 (latest). I run whatever version of Safari is on those machines. I use the AVSIG VFR Blue theme. I never log out of AVSIG, but I just close the browser window. I occasionally use my iPhone or iPad, but that is rare.

And again, no flagging issues for me. With the old forum (SIG II) I'd occasionally have an issue, but manually catching up usually fixed it. It maybe happened 5-6 times a year.

John

Comment

Working...
                                X