Let the Games Begin - Major Avionics and Interior Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will have a G-5 for backup on the left panel also.

The 7" G3X is for engine data and for a pilot in the right seat. I am looking out for my safety pilots and other pilots who fly with me.

I was going to so some fancy custom annunciators, but crazy expensive. But it looks like I can use the stock annunciator panel, but repurpose some of the ones that will not be used to handle a few extra things. So Speed Brake light will move to the annunciator panel and add warning lights for pitot heat and prop heat.

Comment

Update.

The long middle period where there are more and more wires is pretty much done. The wires have been bundled. Connectors are installed. Shop is working on the panel layout. All the rocker switches have been converted to toggles.

Yokes are covered in leather by the interior shop and got installed on Friday.

Once the panel layout is done, they will cut the panel, powder coat and etch. And then everything gets installed. A couple of weeks.

The problem is, in 2 weeks I will be on a 2 week cruise vacation. And then home for a week and off and running for a week. If all goes well, I can test fly and pick it up that week. Then more test flying once I get back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2553.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	25565Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20240328_105322.JPEG
Views:	93
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	25566

Comment

It's progress, not to be knocked!

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post
          Update.
          All the rocker switches have been converted to toggles.
          Personal preference or is there something behind that?

Comment

Wiring is behind the switches.

Comment

IMO it's much easier to learn and work toggle switches without looking at them. Same way, I want my car's air and audio controls operable without looking. That rules out most modern cars for me.
              Bacon is the answer. I forgot the question.

Comment

I was hoping to hear from Terry to see if I could learn some insight. Personally, I could argue it either way. Rockers would be more prone to getting bumped, but toggles with long levers can snag thing (straps, handles, etc.) Fragile toggles can have the handle broken off. Perhaps the biggest knock on rockers is the temptation to mount them side-by-side making in a single cutout making it hard to operate by feel (but looks cool).

I could see making a "language" by mixing the two. Perhaps rockers for "preference" (like cabin lighting), while toggles are for critical things. The idea is to make it easier to operate by feel and minimizing the opportunity for confusion. It wouldn't look as cool, but could be more functional.
                Last edited by Russell Holton; 04-04-2024, 14:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post

Personal preference or is there something behind that?
                  Personal preference.

Easier to see the position. Feel better. Not plastic.

Comment

OK, down to the wire. I approved the panel layout. They will cut a plexi test panel to see that everything i3 going to work. Time is about 2 - 3 weeks. I have a 2 week cruise starting in a week, and it should be done just before I get back.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Carraway View Post

Personal preference.

Easier to see the position. Feel better. Not plastic.
                      Ok. Something I forgot to mention is it's possible to get locking toggle switches. You have to pull them out to switch positions. I'm not aware of anything like that for rocker.

Comment

Yeah, I know about those. I may consider them for the Avionics Master. Not sure which ones would benefit.

Comment

Years ago, I was flying an ILS in bad weather at night at Erie, PA. When I entered the clouds I realized that the strobe lights were going to be a huge distraction. There were two toggle switches, one for the strobes, and next to it, the avionics master. I sure would have loved to know the avionics toggle operated differently than the strobe switch. Fortunately, I turned off the correct one.

Comment

Exactly. But that is why the electrical switches are on the left and the lighting switches are on the right. MUCH hardder to mix them up.

So, once started, up and running, no switches on the left are used until shutdown.

Comment

Working...
                            X