New Message notification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Mike -- The recent posts option seems to only go back a day or so, so maybe the advanced search is the way for Ward to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Overly View Post
      Let’s try something. I’m going to zap the “New Since Last Visit” module as well as the "Jump To" module, leaving only the “Recent Posts” filter in the header bar and the native section flag unread message notification up.
      I wish this change had been "stickied" or something. I noticed I was not seeing any new messages (since I heretofore had only used the "New Since Last Visit" to see if there were new messages...

I will now play along to try to help troubleshoot. I previously had not had any issues. I regularly check AVSIG on 2 Macs via Safari, and an iPad and iPhone with Safari. I'd say 90% of my access is from the computers (as opposed to the mobile devices).

Comment

Originally posted by John O'Shaughnessy [FCM] View Post

I wish this change had been "stickied" or something.
        So say you. And so say my inbox . Done and done.

Comment

Well, there's still something in the water. I got a false "new" indication for "Aviation History", but I've read everything under there days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Holton View Post
            Well, there's still something in the water. I got a false "new" indication for "Aviation History", but I've read everything under there days ago.
            Same here. Same section.

I left it on, in case Mike wants to look at it.

Comment

Hey, folks ... nothing has changed in message filtering -- removing the "New Since Last" only simplifies the reportage here by removing one of the three message view options. As regards reportage, I need the conditions under which you're missing messages or getting phantom new message notifications ... or I'm not learning anything. Specifically: please report whether the missing/phantom notification was in “Recent Posts,” “Message Header Flag” or “Both.” Also, please note whether this circumstance occurred in a clean browser visit, an open browser that actively has AVSIG up in a window during its session, or an open browser that at any time had an active AVSIG session in it. Also note whether AVSIG is open on any other device you use or was open in a browser window that’s still open on one of those devices.

Comment

Specifically: please report whether the missing/phantom notification was in “Recent Posts,” “Message Header Flag” or “Both.”
                I only look at the color of the "talk icon" balloon icon for the section. (See the pictures in the first message of this thread.) If it's blue, then that's an indication that there is a new message in that section. If it's gray, then there is none.

I'll have to pay attention to the conditions, but I've only seen it when I visit AVSIG - it doesn't come up during an active session, but when I sit down to see what's happening.
                Last edited by Russell Holton; 06-11-2018, 02:15.

Comment

I only look at the color of the "talk icon" balloon icon for the section. (See the pictures in the first message of this thread.) If it's blue, then that's an indication that there is a new message in that section. If it's gray, then there is none.

I'll have to pay attention to the conditions, but I've only seen it when I visit AVSIG - it doesn't come up during an active session, but when I sit down to see what's happening.
                  Same here.

I use the balloon to tell. And today, the Aviation History bubble is dark blue, even though there are no new messages since I logged in yesterday.

Comment

Those icons indicate unread messages in a section, which can be used as a "New" indicator assuming you have read and backed out of all the messages in that section using the menu navigation, but the bubble is essentially an "unread message" bubble. Please try closing all browsers that have or have had an AVSIG session in them on all devices, then launch AVSIG and use the "Mark This Channel Read" link at the bottom of all sections that have the lit bubble. When all your bubbles are gray under those conditions, they should stay gray until there is a new message you haven't read.

Back when this came up I left several sections "lit" with unread messages on two test IDs. Over the months I have periodically cleared those sections without trouble by either marking the channels read or reading the unread messages and backing out via the index (again -- same behavior as Sig II). I grayed all my sections on this ID on Friday, and so far I'm not seeing any surprises. I'll continue to keep an eye on it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mike Overly;n4552]Those icons indicate unread messages in a section, which can be used as a "New" indicator assuming you have read and backed out of all the messages in that section using the menu navigation, but the bubble is essentially an "unread message" bubble.[/qutoe]
                      Understood.

When all your bubbles are gray under those conditions, they should stay gray until there is a new message you haven't read.
                      Which is the expected behavior.

Please try closing all browsers that have or have had an AVSIG session in them on all devices,
                      I'm not sure as I understand the concern about other browsing sections. I can assure you it's not a case of an old session updating the flags with stale information. At any given time, I may have it open on three devices: home, work, and phone. However, none of those sessions would be old enough to cause "Aviation History" to light back up. And certainly none of them are old enough to cause the "In Memoriam" to light.

Comment

[QUOTE=Russell Holton;n4554]
                        Those icons indicate unread messages in a section, which can be used as a "New" indicator assuming you have read and backed out of all the messages in that section using the menu navigation, but the bubble is essentially an "unread message" bubble.[/qutoe]
                        Understood.

Which is the expected behavior.

[LEFT][COLOR=#3F4B51][FONT=latoregular][SIZE=13px]
                        I'm not sure as I understand the concern about other browsing sections. I can assure you it's not a case of an old session updating the flags with stale information. At any given time, I may have it open on three devices: home, work, and phone. However, none of those sessions would be old enough to cause "Aviation History" to light back up. And certainly none of them are old enough to cause the "In Memoriam" to light.
                        We are about two decades into "Why is my message lightbulb still lit" discussions on two different AVSIG platforms, and so far I can't think of one that wasn't related to persistent cached information. I think the clean browser environment is essential to helping us figure out what's happening here. Do you notice the false flags in all of your AVSIG browsing sessions?

Comment

We are about two decades into "Why is my message lightbulb still lit" discussions on two different AVSIG platforms, and so far I can't think of one that wasn't related to persistent cached information.
                          It would have to be a very old session to be resurrected for some of what I've seen.

Do you notice the false flags in all of your AVSIG browsing sessions?
                          Once set, yes. While I'm open (but skeptical) to the idea of the data coming from a stale browser session, it's clearly written back to my profiles on the forum when it happens as it appears across all browsers after that.

Comment

I'm going to run AVSIG in Chrome and Edge for a week, leaving the Chrome session open on two devices and closing the Edge session each time. I'm going to clear unread message notifications in both browsers using this link:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mcr.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	4559

... and see what I come up with.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Are folks seeing this issue using pop-up blockers or any other browser enhancements? Is that a differentiating thing?

Comment

Originally posted by John O'Shaughnessy [FCM] View Post
                                Are folks seeing this issue using pop-up blockers or any other browser enhancements? Is that a differentiating thing?
                                I use Adblock (not to be confused with Adblock Plus), but I've never had it create problems like this.

Comment

Working...
                                X